I went onto Magic Freebies like I do most days and I came across a free book that Belling where giving away to try and get kids into baking.
Belling has created this cookbook and filled density healthy, yummy ideas for meals inspired by superheroes.
Peanut Butter and Jelly French Toast
- Good quality peanut butter
- 12 slices of bread
- 6 tablespoons strawberry or raspberry jam
- 3 large eggs
- 150ml milk
- 1\4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Icing sugar to serve
- Spread peanut butter on 6 slices of the bread and spread the jam on the remaining 6 slices of bread. Make sandwiches by pairing the slices, with the peanut butter and jam on the inside of each.
- I’m a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt.
- Dip both sides of sandwiches in the egg mixture.
- I’m a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. When melted, cook the sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side of until golden brown. Sprinkle with icing sugar if desired. Serve immediately.
Breakfast Waffles with fruity compote and Greek yoghurt
- 300g frozen summer fruit
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 125g self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 medium egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 250ml semi skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon rapeseed oil and
- 4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar, for dusting
- In a pan, heat the berries and maple syrup until gently simmering on the hob. Cook on low for 10-15 minutes until syrupy and thick.
- Meanwhile, stir together the flour and cornflour in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla and milk before adding to the flour. Mix until smooth.
- Heat a waffle maker and brush with oil. Pour a small ladleful of batter into each pocket and cook for 7-10 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
- Repeat until all the batter has been used – this should be around 8 waffles, depending on the size of your waffle maker.
- To serve stack the waffles on each plate and top with fruity compote, Greek yoghurt and icing sugar.
- 6 tortillas
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 6 sausages
- A small handful of grated cheese for each tortilla
- A pinch each of salt and pepper
- In a small saucepan, scramble the eggs
- Grill the sausages on a tray with the sliced tomatoes and mushrooms
- Once cooked through, cut the sausages in half
- Prepare a dry frying pan on the heat. Lay each tortilla out on a board, share out the scrambled egg between each tortilla. The tortillas will be folded in half, so keep the filling to one half of each tortilla.
- Once loaded with the scrambled egg, share out the tomato, mushroom and sausage. Sprinkle a handful of spinach cheese on top of each filing, and food in half.
- Lay 2 folded tortillas in the pan and cook until brown on both sides and the cheese inside is melting. Continue until all quesadillas are cooked, the day immediately.
Super duper picnic sandwiches
- 4 large white or brown crusty rolls
- 25g butter, melted
- 75g red Leicester cheese, thinly sliced
- 100g water-thin jam
- 2 firm tomatoes, sliced
- 100g cucumber, thinly sliced
- With a bread knife, sliced off the top of each roll to make a lid. Using clean hands, pull out most of the soft bread from the inside of each roll.
- Lightly brush melted butter inside each roll and across the cut edge of the lids. Later the cheese, ham, tomatoes and cucumber into the rolls, pressing down gently as you go
- Place the lids on top of the rolls, then wrap tightly in foil. Chill the sandwiches in the fridge for atleast 20 minutes
- Unwrap and halve the rolls, then rewrap, and eat within 4 hours of making
Chicken Shawarma, Homemade Flatbread and Sweet Potato Wedges
- 120ml extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1\2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1\2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1\4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1\4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 900g boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Cooking spray
For the flatbread
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 1\2 teaspoon salt
- 100no warm water
- 2 teaspoon oil
For the yoghurt sauce
- 125g Greek yoghurt
- Juice of 1\2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of crushed chilli flakes (optional)
For the sweet potato wedges
- 4 sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
- A drizzle of oil
- 2 teaspoon Cajun spice (optional)
- Chopped lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Prepare the chicken in a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic and seasonings. Add the chicken and toss to coat in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to overnight
- Preheat oven to 200°c and grease a large baking tray with cooking spray. Add the sliced onion to the marinade and toss to coat
- Remove the chicken and onion from the marinade and place on a prepared baking tray. Bake until chicken is cooked through, around 30 minutes. Let the chicken rest on a chopping board for 5 minutes, then slice thinly.
- For the wedges, place the cut sweet potato into a baking tray and drizzle with oil, salt, pepper and the Cajun spice (if desired). Mix up with your hands, and pop in to the oven and cook for 35 minutes until golden brown
- For the flatbreads, mix all the ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon until you have a dough. Using your hands, break off 6 balls of dough and roll out to make a thin, circular flatbread. Using a dry frying pan on a medium-high heat, cook each flatbread individually for 2 minutes each side
- Meanwhile, make the yoghurt sauce: in a small bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, lemon juice, oil and garlic. Season with salt and a lunch of chilli flakes (if desired)
- To serve, too each flatbread with chicken, onion, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and yoghurt sauce. Accompany with the homemade wedges
Mega Veg Mac ‘N’ Cheese
- 300g macaroni
- 100g broccoli florets
- 100g cauliflower florets
- 3 large carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 sticks of celery sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1\4 cup all-purpose flour
- 400ml milk
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 250g mature cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1\4 teaspoon salt
- 1\8 teaspoon pepper
- 1\4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 190°c
- In a large saucepan, cook macaroni according to package instructions, adding brocolli, cauliflower, carrots and celery during the last 6 minutes of cooking. Once the veg are cooked remove from the macaroni and blend them in a food processor, and put them to one side to mix them through the finished cheese sauce. This is a great way of sneaking in some hidden vegetanles .
- Drain the macaroni and transfer to a greased 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat and sauté the onion until tender. Stir in the flour until blended into a paste. Gradually stir in the milk and stock, and bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes, and then remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, mustard, salt and pepper and your blended vegetables
- Add the sauce to the macaroni, stirring to coat. Sprinkle the dish with paprika and bake, uncovered , until heated through and the top is golden brown – about 15- 20 minutes.
Healthy Chilli Cheese Dogs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 250g lean mince
- 2 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1 red chilli, chopped and sliced (optional)
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- 12 sausages or hot dogs
- 6 baguettes
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 60g mature half-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Coriander to serve
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil for 5 minutes of until soft. Add the mince and cook for 6-7 minutes or until browned
- Stir in the seasoning and tomato puree and fry for 1 minute. Add the beans and 100ml water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Preheat the grill and cook the sausages for 10-12 minutes. Split each baguette and toast, cut side down .
- Put 2 sausages in each baguette, top with the chilli, sour cream, cheeze, sliced red chilli (if desired) and coriander.